U.S work visa types: foreign students and business professionals

There are many reasons why immigrants from other countries immigrate to the U.S. Those reasons almost always tie to having a better life for themselves and their loved ones. Everyone wants to be successful and have opportunities that will assist them in reaching their goals.

Getting to the next level in your career might mean making some sacrifices, which could mean moving to another country. Immigrants with an employment-based focus are typically students, highly educated individuals with college degrees or established business professionals.

While the path leading up to immigration might be different for everyone, the intent stays the same. To improve their lives and work opportunities. Fortunately, there are ways for such individuals to reside in the United States. But the process of obtaining a work visa is not that simple.

Foreign Students Pursuing Higher Education

People immigrating to the U.S. with the intention to continue their higher education and better contribute to society are inspiring. This is something the U.S. Immigration Services look at. It shows that these students have willpower and adaptability. They most likely know what they want and are here to achieve that. This is certainly an earned skill which will help the lengthy and challenging road to gaining rights into the country a bit easier.

After obtaining college degrees in the U.S., students can apply for the H-1B work visa which enters them in a lottery. Unfortunately, this is not a guarantee, and students face the risk of being sent back home after graduation. If students are lucky enough to win a spot, the road which lies ahead is even more challenging. But, this path can lead to permanent residency and later, becoming a U.S citizen.

Foreign business professionals

Individuals with advanced degrees or established businesses who want to immigrate to the U.S, face similar challenges as foreign students in the U.S. who just earned their college degree. Someone in this position could be a software engineer or a practicing physician in another country who needs to move because of job location changes.

Wanting to work in the U.S. because of employment related needs require certain types of work visas. Visa options for experienced business professionals with certain restrictions are the temporary H-1B, L-1, E-1 and E-2 visa categories. Other types of work visas include: green cards (permanent visas), temporary work visas, seasonal work visas and exchange worker visas. The type of visas available are based on requirements, such as the type of company you currently work for, years of experience and your country of origin.

There are many things to consider when it comes to obtaining a work visa in the U.S. Whether you are currently a foreign exchange student who recently graduated, or you are someone who’s had years of experience in their profession in another country.

It is important to keep in mind how taxing and extensive the process is. It is also important to note that if you have established good relationships with your current company and have many years of experience in your field, it can help to alleviate the process, however, individualized factors will vary.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get In Touch With Us Today
We speak English, Spanish, and Portuguese, and work effectively with people who speak many other languages as their first language. Complete the form below or call 317-245-4362 to schedule a consultation.

    I Have Read The Disclaimer


    2301 N. Meridian St.,2nd floor,
    Suite #201, Indianapolis, IN 46208